Thursday, January 19, 2006

What if Geeks ran NASA?



I admit it, I'm a space geek. I wanted to be an astronaut, but bad eyesight killed that plan. The idea of space travel still fascinates me.

This recent Forbes article caught my attention & attempts to answer the question of:
Where would the U.S. space program be today if run not by NASA bureaucrats but by Silicon Valley geeks and financiers--by crazy entrepreneurs?

Some great points. It mentions that Burt Rutan's SpaceShipOne was built for less than $40 million (financed by ubergeek Paul Allen) and flew into space twice last year. It's licensing it's technology to Richard Branson who started a new space tourism company called Virgin Galactic which plans to usher in the era of space tourism.

Definitely one of my 43things

flickr photo credit inner gee