Tuesday, October 18, 2005

Sad Day for A's Fans

I just received some shocking news in my email inbox.

It looks as if longtime Oakland Athletics play-by-play announcer Bill King passed away this morning. I knew he was having some heatlh problems after injuring his hip last spring, but this is a shock.

"We are deeply saddened by Bill's passing," said A's President Michael Crowley. "He was arguably the most recognizable voice in the history of Bay Area broadcasting. One would be hard-pressed to find an announcer who served as the lead play-by-play voice for three major sports franchises for as long as Bill. He was a broadcasting icon and true renaissance man in every sense of the word whose loss will be felt in many circles. Our thoughts and prayers are with Bill and his family."

If you're a regular reader, you'll know that I'm a huge A's fan. Part of the reason that I became an A's fan is the world class talent that Bill King brought to A's radio broadcasts.

I grew up listening to Bob Uecker doing Milwaukee Brewer games & Harry Caray doing Cubs games & when I listened to King doing A's games, I knew that he was in the same category.

I wish he could have stayed around to see the current group of young stars develop.

Take care Bill, we'll miss you.

Fan reaction on Athletics Nation