Saturday, July 30, 2005

East Bay Activities: The Oakland A's

Looking for something to do in the East Bay? Why not head down to the Coliseum and check out the A's. The A's have really been playing some great baseball recently and it's been really exciting to see the team turn it around after a bad start.

I'm a huge Oakland A's fan. When I moved out here in 2002 I wasn't too into baseball. So here I was, in a new land and I had no local sports teams to root for yet. Since I was living in the East Bay, I was inclined to pay a little more attention to the A's. The games were nearby, cheap and usually exciting. What probably sealed it was when my girlfriend Barry and I were at win #20 during the winning streak. They blew a 11 run lead and ended up winning it in extra innings on a Scott Hatteberg walk off homer.

That game part of the BART Double Play Wednesday promotion ($1 tickets & $1 hot dogs at the time) and knowing the significance of the game, had ordered tickets ahead of time. When we got there, we found ourselves with an extra ticket to the sold out game. We ended up giving it to a guy from Redding who was in town for business. He ended up sitting by us and bought us beer all night. A great time was had by all!

There's a great online community at die hard fans at the Athletics Nation blog. Besides the great posts by Blez, the blog's creator; the diaries section showcases a thriving online community of rabid A's fans.

You can buy tickets at A's official site.

I'd love to see you at the game tomorrow, but duty calls. I'll be holding open 851 Dwight crescent in Berkeley from 2-4pm. The details will be in the next post.